1) Send your friends and family a letter: (Best way to get started!) Mothers Without Borders (MWB) can provide you with a form letter you can personalize and send out. They have also recently made it possible for you to create your own online fundraising campaign on their website. This makes it very easy to get the word out about your campaign and invite your friends and family to donate.
You can send your own heartfelt email. (Read how one volunteer raised $8,000 in 2 weeks through emails) We’ve had people raise between $300-2000 just with the mail letter alone.
2) Donations instead of gifts: People have asked that instead of presents for Christmas, b-days, other days that people donate to MWB in their name instead. One sweet lady from my team last year just did this last week. She put a message on her Facebook page saying that she was turning 40 the next day and that instead of gifts, lunches, flowers, she would love to buy at least one bicycle for the children at our orphanage who travel 6 miles to attend high school each day. Each bicycle costs $200. She wound up raising enough money to buy ALL 6 needed bikes plus had money to sponsor a child in school for a year.
3) Matching Funds: Some people work for companies (or their spouse, sibling, parent, friend does) that offering corporate matching on donations to 501(c)3 charities like MWB. You donate a dollar and they match it by donating a dollar and sometimes more! People have gotten half or more of their trip paid for this way. Email email@example.com if you have any questions about matching funds.
I even know a girl who wrote to a large local business, explained what she wanted to do, why she was going etc. asking for a donation and they actually paid for her entire trip. Small businesses are overburdened with requests but large companies usually have a certain amount of money set aside for charitable giving. Definitely worth a try!
4) Garage Sale: Collect items from friends and neighbors and sell at a big garage sale. One person I know raised $1200 this way. I know someone else who sold some silicone bands from sleekwristbands.com to people who visited their garage sale and they made so much money for their trip. Everyone loves to support a good cause and I know if I saw someone selling a fundraiser wristband, I would definitely buy one. After all, who doesn’t love a good wristband!? Finding something to sell is a great way to fundraise.
5) Bake Sale: A family last year loved to bake so they took orders for special events and delivered the evening before. For example, on Easter they took orders for cakes and hot cross buns. On Mother’s Day they took orders for Cinnamon rolls. Father’s Day, some other yummy thing. They raised thousands of dollars doing this.
6) Silent Auction: Can be combined with another event or you could do a dinner (anything from informal BBQ in someone’s backyard to black tie event). If you want to do something big with this, let us know, we can give you ideas. If done right these can raise up to $10,000 or more but require a lot of work.
7) Movie Night: 3 of our volunteers got together and held a family movie night at a local elementary school. They sold treats, charged a small ticket price to get in and showed a movie. They combined this with a silent auction. One popular item at their auction was 2 plane tickets and some art work by a local artist. So it pays to work your connections. They raised over $3000.
8) Investments: Loads of people try to increase their spending power in the short term or long term by looking at different investment opportunities, these opportunities could present themselves in any way, shape or form, so look out for anything you think could return more than your original investment, for the inexperienced investor the likes of etf investing or similar exchange investments may be the easiest to learn the basics for. For longer-term investments, it might be worth looking at some of the popular trends. For example, a lot of people seem to be investing their money in the stock markets. Before doing this, it’s usually advised to find a website, like https://www.stocktrades.ca/, to make sure you’re fully confident before trying to make some money that way.